Family Footcare offers the genesisplus™ Laser procedure that is FDA approved for the treatment of fungal nail infection. This procedure is quick, comfortable and safe way to clear the toenail fungus. Clear nail growth can be observed after 1-2 treatments.
Understanding the GenesisPlus Procedure
Fungal nail infection is caused by contact with dermatophytes which are everywhere in the environment. Common sources of the infection include swimming pools, public showers, gyms and nail spas. Tight fitting shoes and nail trauma can also lead to infection. Genetics, poor health and increasing age are also factors that increase the risk of fungal nail infection.
- You may suffer from a fungal nail infection if you have one or more of the following:
- Discolored nails
- Yellow streaks under the nails
- Distorted or thickened nails
- Brittle, crumbly or ragged nails
- Nails separated from the underlying skin
- Buildup of debris (nail fragments, skin) under the nail
- White spots or streaks on the nail surface
Oral drugs can be effective in treating the fungus. The medication can take anywhere from 12 weeks or longer to clear the nail. Side effects are a concern with oral treatment, especially liver damage and heart failure. Bloods tests may be necessary to monitor for side effects. Topical drugs are less effective in treating nail fungus and restoring clear nails. It is applied twice a day until the nail is clear, which can be 12-24 months.There are no significant side effects, however in some patients, the medication cannot penetrate the nail to reach the infection. Laser treatments are effective in treating the infection and restoring clear nails. A recent clinical study shows no adverse side effects.
Prevention of Fungal Infections
- Here are a few ways to help prevent fungal infections:
- Proper hygiene and regular inspection of feet and toes is the first line of defense
- Keep feet clean and dry
- Shower shoes should be worn when posible in public areas
- Clip nails straight across so that the nail does not extend beyond the tip of the toe
- Wear shoes that fit well and are made of materials that breathe, i.e. leather
- Avoid wearing excessively tight hosiery, which promotes moisture
- Socks made of synthetic fiber tend to “wick” away moisture faster than cotton or wool socks
- Don’t share nail clippers or files
- Disinfect instruments used to cut nails and home pedicure tools
- Sanitize shoes with sprays or ultraviolet light
- Don’t apply polish to nails suspected of infection
How the GenesisPlus Works
The Cutera GenesisPlus Laser, which is FDA approved in the treatment of nail fungus, works by passing the laser light over the infected nail and surrounding skin. This is repeated several times until enough energy has reached the nail bed. Once the target temperature is reached the laser has killed the fungus. Since the nails grow very slowly results usually are seen in 6-12 months. Following the treatment, post treatment instructions are reviewed.
What to Expect
All toes on both feet are treated for the best chance of success. The procedure takes between 30 – 40 minutes.
Number of Treatments
Most patients only need 2 to 3 treatments, but in severe cases additional treatments may be needed
Before the Procedure
24 hours before the procedure, remove any polish from all toenails. Remove any jewelry
before coming for the procedure and trim the nails.
During the Procedure
Most patients describe the procedure as being comfortable with a small hot pinch at the end. No pain medication is needed and most people find the treatment very easy to tolerate.
After the Procedure
Immediately following the procedure your nails may feel warm for a few minutes. The majority of the patients can resume normal activites right away.
You won’t notice anything immediately following the treatment. However, as your nail grows
out, the new nail growth should be clear. Toenails grow slowly, especially nails infected with
fungus, so it may take 6 – 12 months for your nails to clear.